HSE Launches Second Phase of Construction Inspection Campaign
- Date: Tuesday 7th November 2017
- PDF: Download
Construction projects across Britain are being urged to act now to ensure the health and safety of their works is protected as the second phase of a targeted inspection initiative gets underway.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) says 43 workers were fatally injured in 2015/16, and an estimated ten times that number died from construction related ill-health, with a further 65,000 self-reported non-fatal injuries. In addition to falls from height, the campaign will focus on control of harmful dusts including respirable silica (from concrete, brick and stone), asbestos and wood dust, as well as structural safety, materials handling, good order and welfare provision.
The HSE points to the mis-conception that health issues cannot be controlled in construction. It says harmful dust, whether silica or wood, is a serious issue and can be managed effectively with the right design, equipment and training. Health effects may not be immediate, but the ultimate impact on workers and their families can be devastating. The HSE carried out over 2000 inspections during the first phase of the initiative earlier this year with action being taken to address these issues in almost half of visits.
The HSE’s Chief Inspector of Construction and Director of Construction Division Peter Baker commented: “In phase 1 of his campaign, HSE’s inspectors found lots of good examples of small sites working safely and protecting workers health from exposure to harmful dusts, proving it can be done. My message to smaller businesses is don’t wait for an accident or a visit from an HSE inspector – learn from the success of others and act now.”
He further stated, “Nearly half of construction fatal accidents and injuries reported to HSE involved refurbishment work. Some small refurbishment sites continue to cut corners and not properly protect their workers resulting in an unacceptable number of deaths and injuries each year.”