Asbestos in Non-Domestic Premises - Do You Have a Duty to Manage it?

Asbestos in Non-Domestic Premises - Do You Have a Duty to Manage it?

  • Date: Tuesday 11th January 2011

Do you own, manage, occupy or have responsibilities for non-domestic premises or common areas of residential rented buildings built before 2000 which may contain asbestos? If so, you may have a legal duty to identify and manage the risk from asbestos containing materials (ACMs) or cooperate with those who manage the risk. These duties are detailed in Regulation 4 of the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2006 and require that the duty holder:

1. Identify the presence, amount and condition of ACMs via inspection or survey;
2. Use competent contractors for surveys. The United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS) has developed an accreditation scheme for organisations that conduct surveys;
3. Assess the risk and prepare a plan for the management of ACMs;
4. Implement, monitor and review the Asbestos Management Plan. This may involve signage on materials in good condition or removal / repair of those in a poor condition;
5. Maintain an asbestos register of the location and condition of ACMs or suspect materials;
6. Provide information on the location and condition of ACMs to anyone likely to work on or disturb them.

Asbestos Removal
Some damaged ACMs may need repairing, others may need removing completely. Most work on sprayed coatings, pipe lagging and asbestos insulating board must be done by a HSE licensed contractor.

Are You a Duty Holder?
If you are unsure whether you are a duty holder you should seek professional advice immediately. Asbestos could be the killer hiding in your building and it may be your duty to manage it.

SSG Training and Consultancy provide a range of UKATA approved Asbestos related training courses.  For more information on our courses including Asbestos Awareness, Working With Non-Licensed Products or toolbox talks, please contact our team on 01752 201616 or email

Bookmark and Share

Return to listings