Driving in Adverse Weather
- Date: Tuesday 4th October 2016
The number of people on the road in the UK is rising. With dark nights and dark mornings approaching, we need to ensure the safety of workers on the road. There were 311 billion vehicle miles reported in 2014, and this continues to grow each year.
What harm could they cause?
- On average there are 5 deaths and 59 serious injuries every day on the roads
- HSE guidance indg382 estimates more than 1 in 4 of all deaths are work related
What should we do to stay safe?
- Safe vehicle:
- Ensure your vehicle is in good condition
- Safe journey:
- Plan journeys and take regular breaks – at least every two hours
- Leave in plenty of time, allow for preparing the vehicle (removing snow/ice, traffic, slower speeds and breaks
- Look at weather warnings issues by the MET office and notify line management if concerned
- Safe driver
- Get plenty of sleep and avoid drinking the night before any drive Consider an advanced driving course