Raising awareness of fly-tipping within UK industry

Raising awareness of fly-tipping within UK industry

  • Date: Monday 29th March 2021
  • PDF: Download

Fly-tipping has become a major concern of the UK government and local councils with the commercial and domestic waste being dumped illegally by unlicenced carriers becoming a regular occurrence across the UK. Fly-tipping is defined as the ‘illegal deposit of any waste onto land that does not have a licence to accept it.’ In the last few years more than one million incidences of fly-tipping were dealt with by councils in England with the estimated cost of clearing this waste being over £58 million.

Why be concerned?

Uncontrolled illegal waste disposal can be hazardous to workers or the general public when dumped on private or public land; especially if it contains toxic waste, contaminated material or hazardous material like asbestos. There could also be a risk of damage to watercourses and soil quality from the dumped waste.

As well as being a potential hazard to health, fly-tipping is a serious criminal offence. The courts have various powers available to them to tackle fly-tipping including imprisonment, unlimited fines and an order to deprive rights to a vehicle used to commit the offence. Incidents can potentially happen on sites, from small items to involving several truckloads of construction and demolition waste being tipped on different types of land.

Where is my commercial waste going?

If you run a business and have a contract with a waste carrier you can ensure that your waste is being taken away and disposed of correctly by ensuring your waste carrier is a registered and licenced waste carrier and that they are taking the waste to a facility that is licenced to take your specific waste type.

Ask the waste company you are using for certificates / licences or alternatively check their details with the Environment Agency.

If you are disposing of business waste yourself at a tip or a landfill, then the site must be licenced to take commercial waste. You will have to pay a gate fee and landfill tax. If you’re asking a third party to remove your waste as part of a job, you should ensure that they are a registered waste carrier and that they are also taking the waste to the licenced site. Copies of waste transfer notes can also be requested. Never pay an independent or non-licenced person to carry your waste as in these circumstances the potential for your waste to be fly-tipped is high.

What can I do if someone has fly-tipped on my land or site?

Local authorities will deal with smaller scale, more frequent incidents. The Environment Agency will deal with larger scale, more serious incidents of illegal waste disposal, or fly-tipping including hazardous wastes and tipping carried out by organised criminals.

Reports to the Environment Agency can be made using their national hotline number 0800 807 060.

For more information please click here.

Source: Terry Burdon

Bookmark and Share

Return to listings