Face Fit Testing
Where respiratory protective equipment (RPE) is used as a control measure under Health and Safety Legislation, it is vital that the selected RPE is adequate and suitable. To ensure that the selected RPE has the potential to provide adequate protection for individual wearers, the ACoPs supporting the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health, the Control of Asbestos Regulations and the Control of Lead at Work Regulations stipulate that tight-fitting RPE must be fit tested as part of the selection process.
Note: A tight-fitting facepiece is a full face mask, a half mask, or a filtering facepiece (commonly referred to as a disposable mask). Fit testing is a method of checking that a tight-fitting facepiece matches the wearer’s facial features and seals adequately to their face.
- SSG offer Qualitative face fit testing which is only suitable for half mask, or a filtering facepiece (commonly referred to as a disposable mask)
- This type of fit testing is NOT suitable for full face masks and alternative fit test providers should be sought for such RPE.
- All face fit testing is conducted in accordance with the HSE guidance note OC 282/28 by competent personnel.
- Delegates MUST bring with them the RPE that they use, to be tested or the test cannot be carried out. If more than one type of RPE is used for different tasks all RPE should be brought for fit testing.
- SSG will only fit test the RPE that has been issued to the employees.
- Delegates must arrive clean shaven
Fit Test Programme
Each fit test includes:
- Brief explanation of the need for fit testing
- Explanation of the fit test procedure
- Coaching on getting the best fit with RPE
- Fit test
- Certificate of fit test
Open Courses - Courses are delivered throughout the year at our regional training centres. The cost per delegate is £100.00 for 1-4 delegates per session, £25.00 per additional delegates.
Private Courses - Fees available upon request.
Suggested Follow On and Complimentary courses:
Face Fit Testing.pdf (263.3 KB)
- Start date: Thursday 1st January 1970 (01:00)
Please enter the names and email addresses of the people that are to attend the course.
If there are any special requirements please fill them in too.