Cable Avoidance Tools and Generator (CAT and Genny)
The aim of the location and avoidance of underground apparatus course is to provide experienced operatives with the required level of understanding of the safety procedures associated with the use of Cable Avoidance Tools before and during excavation work.
SSG offer this training over approximately ½-day - due to the nature of this is course and the City and Guilds Assessment requirements the duration may vary slightly depending on the number of delegates attending.
Who Should Attend?
Experienced CAT and Genny Operatives who are engaged in excavation and ground works.
By the end of the course delegates will be able to:
- Interpret utility plans and point out on the ground where the services are and interpret the symbols on the plans
- Recognise a range of services commonly found when carrying out excavations
- Identify the risks of damage to services and the implications of such damage to Gas, Water and Electricity
- Use cable location equipment to find and trace underground services
- Understand the services that cannot be found with conventional cable location equipment
- Conduct activities safely
Candidates will participate in theory and practical training covering the following:
- Course Introduction
- Relevant legislation, ACOPS and guidance to include HSG 47
- Interpretation of utility maps
- Symbols used by utility companies on maps
- Common types of underground apparatus
- Support of apparatus in open excavations
- Safe working practices to include risk assessment and use of PPE
- Practical use of Cat and Genny
- Health and safety implications of damage to underground apparatus
- Assessment and feedback
Open courses - courses are delivered throughout the year at our regional training centres. The cost per delegae is £165 plus VAT.
Private course - The cost per delegate is £165 plus VAT and is based on a minimum of 5 and a maximum of 6 candidates.
All fees are inclusive of venue and equipment hire, handouts, refreshments and City and Guilds Certification.
Other suggested and complementary courses:
- New Roads and Streetworks
- Start date: Thursday 1st January 1970 (01:00)
Please enter the names and email addresses of the people that are to attend the course.
If there are any special requirements please fill them in too.